Denefield New build and Refurbishment project
The redevelopment of Denefield School through refurbishment and new build to form new science and technology departments.
BREEAM Rating – New building very good and refurbishment good.
Key innovative and low-impact design features of the building:
The design approach was based on strategies to avoid summer overheating (orientation) using natural ventilation (cross flow through classrooms) and thermal mass in teaching spaces (linked to night-time cooling). The adoption of these simple criteria was a key driver in the design approach, giving a sustainable design philosophy. This approach was tested via the BREEAM assessment.
The design team kept sustainability as a high priority throughout the design process through the adoption of simple technologies and proven strategies rather than the utilization of ‘sustainable bolt-ons’.
The approach taken to sustainability is summarised below;
• Retention and remodelling of 3000m2 of existing building stock provides a greater provision of teaching space whilst minimising the prosed footprint of new
• Retention and re-use of the existing plant
• A full survey will be carried out of existing FF&E and where possible the retention and re-use of existing FF&E will be adopted
• Use of natural material along the prominent elevation of new build to respond to the area of outstanding natural beauty to the West of the site. Materials suggested require low maintenance along with a lengthy design life.
• Achievement of BREEAM ‘Very Good in the new build extension, as per the West Berks Policy.
• Achievement of BREEAM ‘Good’ in the existing building with our refurbishment/ remodelling strategy.
• Re-use of arisings from excavations to form the landscape strategy
• Specification of A rated building materials from the Green Guide specification
Basic building cost - £1,465.00 per m2
Services Cost - £ 341.68 per m2
External Works - £ £22.67 per m2
Gross floor area - 4615.00 m2
Total area of site - 105000.00m2 (10.5 Hectares building and playing fields)
Function Areas and Their size: See attached sheet and plan
Area of Circulation: 600 m2
Area of Storage: 110m2
% area of ground to be used by community – 70%
% area of building to be used by community:
New Build – approx. 50%
Refurb – approx. 5%
Predicted electricity consumption –
Predicted Electricity Consumption
New Build 15133.00 KWH
Refurb/Rest of Building 19072.00 KWH
Total (Whole Building) 34205.00 KWH
Predicted fossil fuel consumption –
Predicted Fossil Fuel Consumption
New Build 319980.00 KWH
Refurb/Rest of Building 151500.00 KWH
Total (Whole Building) 471480.00 KWH
Predicted water consumption -
Predicted Water Use
New Build 300000.00 Litres
Refurb/Rest of Building 88800.00 Litres
Total (Whole Building) 388800.00 Litres
List of social or economically sustainable measures achieved / piloted: TBC